Chair of Local Academy Committee: Mrs Gaynor Rogers
C/O: St Matthew’s CE Academy. Lightwood Road. Rough Close. Stoke on Trent. ST3 7NE
Being a Local Academy Committee (LAC) member
LAC members (governors) are one of the largest volunteer groups in the country and have an important part to play in raising school standards. The role of the LAC is key to the effectiveness of a school. Ofsted has noted that the most effective schools demonstrate effective leadership and management which include the LAC.
What do LAC members do?
The role of the LAC is a strategic one, its key functions are to:
- set the aims and objectives for the school
- set the policies for achieving those aims and objectives
- set the targets for achieving those aims and objectives
- monitor and evaluate the progress the school is making towards achievement of its aims and objectives
- be a source of challenge and support to the headteacher (a critical friend)